About Me

My photo
I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!

Friday, 3 June 2011

Trying things out...

So, as promised here's the first post of a 'work in progress' series as I try some new (to me) techniques out on a Dwarf miniature from Reaper. First off, the base. When I inspected the model it looked a little to me like there were coins on the stones he's standing on. So I got the idea that he has just won some fight over some gold or treasure and decided to build the base up accordingly. I got the greenstuff out and started building up more 'stones' and I then made some thin discs to sit on top, for gold coins. This looked OK, but I thought it needed a bit more dressing and I was feeling adventurous with the putty so I made a goblet, too. I did this by making a basic cup shape first and a disc for the base. I then drilled a hole in each and constructed the goblet with a section of a staple I cut and some super glue. Finally I built the stem up and added the details. I was quite pleased with the results! I'm hardly at Perry Bros standards, but hey, we all need to start somewhere.

I hit the face and beard next, as we're always told to do by the pros! As you'll see there's not a lot of face to paint, actually, so there's not really much I could have done. I went with a four colour scheme of VMC Beige Brown, 50/50 Beige Brown & Medium Fleshtone, Medium Fleshtone and then Flat Flesh. The beard was a mix of VMC Brown Violet and red for the base and then drybrushing Bright Orange and then again with some yellow added.

Next (and last for this post) was the chainmail and warhammer. This was my first go at non-metallic metal (NMM). I went with VMC Dark Grey as the base and successively added white, feathering the paint as I went. The result on the spikey bit are quite nice, but the main head of the hammer is perhaps a little muddy. I found it quite difficult to really get going on that part due to the runes getting in the way, but hopefully when they are done then it will tie the whole thing together.

Next up I will be tackling the fur lining of the cape and attempting to get a nice bronze effect on the breastplate and groin guard (or whatever that is called!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...