Since I tried out the new flesh paints I thought I'd keep going with the miniature as another WIP (was always going to finish it as it's for someone, though). The dress was base-coated with VMC Andrea Blue and shaded with GW Ultramarine and then some very thin VMC Dark Prussia Blue. The highlights were the base just mixed up with successively large amounts of Sky Blue.
I originally intended to paint her hair black, but I showed the initial flesh painted pictures to the bloke the figure is for and he requested red hair. I didn't want it to be too orange or yellow or else it wouldn't contrast with the blue enough, so I went for a kind of darker, more auburn redhead. This was achieved by mixing a spot of German Camo Orange Ochre into Chocolate Brown for the base and then a quick wash of Devlan Mud. The highlights were then picked out by adding more Orange Ochre and some Yellow Ochre to the base coat and then finally by adding more Yellow Ochre and a spot of Deep Yellow. I'm quite happy with the result, especially as I chose the palette completely on my own! Hope Mark likes it too!! :)
- Black Smoke
- I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!