For the cloak I wanted a really deep, rich green and I found that VMC Luftwaffe Green was quite nice, so I went with that. I painted it straight on and then feathered in some of the same colour with some black added into the folds. The highlights were the base colour with some VMC German Camo Bright Green added and then again with some extra yellow added. I also painted this scheme on the trimmings of his mail coat and painted in his sleeves in a very light beige colour.
- Black Smoke
- I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!
Saturday, 4 June 2011
Finished the bronze breastplate, helmet and groin protector and went on to do the cloak too as well as a couple of other bits. The bronze was accomplished using the glazing technique described on CoolMiniOrNot. Basically, I painted the base coat VMC Red Leather and then mixed up a very, very thin wash of the base with a touch of black and green in it. The wash was applied a few times to deepen the darker areas and then another bit of black added and the whole process repeated. The highlights were a bit of VMC Flat Flesh reddened slightly with Scarlet and then a bit of the base coat added. Again, the whole was thinned and applied to the high areas. The final highlight was VMC Pale Sand. The result isn't quite as luscious as the example in the link but I think it's not too bad. Next time I'll hopefully have some slightly more suitable colours and the photography might be a bit better...!