About Me

My photo
I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!

Monday, 7 July 2014

Verthandi, Sword of Light

So, here we are in July and this blog has been as quiet as ever! It really has been a slow year so far, but I haven't been altogether inactive on the painting front. But as a change of gear from the usual wargames figures, I tried my hand at something a little larger. The nice lady pictured below is a 54mm figure from Andrea Miniatures and was painted almost entirely with Scalecolor paints from Scale75. I really enjoyed painting her and it definitely stretched my techniques, blending and NMM in particular, which was really the aim. I've actually done a few extra wee bits since these pictures were taken but I hope you like her anyway! 







5 comments:

  1. Fantast work has been a pleasure watching her take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skin is fantastic, really smooth colour shifts.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Was a nice project to paint and I already have another couple of 54mm figures from the same range in the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful work. Did you notice any major differences in painting style moving to the larger scale? Or does it just give you more room to play with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were two major differences I found. First, the amount of surface area needing covered is much larger and so your blends need to be smoother. This scale is a lot less forgiving if you skimp on layers. Which, in turn, means much thinner paints than I'd normally use (though there's nothing stopping you going really thin on 28s). The other major difference is that you don't need as much contrast to achieve the right effect. I'd encourage any one to give it a try and see how it goes.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...