About Me

My photo
I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!

Friday 8 February 2013

Painting Ray's Viking - part 2

So, we left off with the trousers base coated in Foundry Forest Green, so that was quite quick to finish. I then did his puttees (or whatever they're called) in Foundry Rawhide, but I gave them a wee wash in Devlan Mud to give some depth. I wanted a bit more 'pop' when looking at the back of the figure so I decided to paint his bag in Foundry Moss. So it gives a bit of a focal point but is still quite earthy in tone.

Trousers and puttees finished.
Moss bag.
After that I blocked his shoes and belt in VMC Leather Brown and applied a Devlan Mud wash (visible in the left pic above). And then it was onto the shield. Being all patriotic I decided to paint the pattern in red, white and blue. Actually, this was just a nice contrast to the muted earthy tones already applied and should really make him stand out in the shieldwall! The colours are :

Red: VMC Burnt Umber Red -> VMC Scarlet -> VMC Bright Orange
Blue: Foundry Night Sky triad
White: Foundry Arctic Grey triad
Back: VMC Beige Brown -> Devlan Mud -> VMC Yellow Ochre/Beige Brown -> VMC Yellow Ochre

Shield front.
Shield back.
And he's pretty much done! I finished off the leather and decided to tie his accoutrements (his sword scabbard, knife scabbard and necklace) into the shield colours, so his necklace is blue beads with a cross and his scabbards are Foundry Terracotta, which I thought gave a nice halfway house between the bright red of the shield and the browns and greens of the trousers, etc. I finished off the belt buckle and pommels etc in VMC Bronze -> Brass as I always find gold paints too yellow, and gold is probably a bit OTT, anyway.

Eyes painted and he's done!
All I need to do over the weekend is varnish the figure and he'll be in the mail on Monday. Hope you like it, Ray! :)


2 comments:

  1. He looks the biz! Can't wait to see him in the flesh or should it be lead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully he'll deliver some suitable Viking wrath to your enemies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...