About Me

My photo
I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!

Sunday 23 December 2012

Ghost of games past and future

Last Tuesday was a really nostalgic games night for me. For the first time in about 15 years I played a game of Blood Bowl. Now, Games Workshop gets a lot of flak for their marketing and business practices (£45 for 4 resin figures...!) but people can sometimes forget that they actually used to make some very solid games. I would always rate Blood Bowl and Space Hulk among the best miniature board games ever. I recall many games of Blood Bowl at my friends house using the second edition with the hard core rules, so that games went four quarters and lasted hours! Brilliant stuff!

And then, a few years ago, I made the most elementary error any wargamer can make! I sold my teams on eBay, thinking I would never play Blood Bowl again! Cut to a couple of months ago and I'm collecting my copy from the local GW store! D'oh! However, Michael from the Phoenix club got wind of this and also got a copy and bought about 5 painted teams on eBay, so at long last we were ready to take to the pitch and bash each other's brains out! And you know what? It's still as much fun as I remembered!

The crowds cheer as the players line up for the kick off...

...and the carnage begins!

I was playing Undead versus Dwarves! This was not a running game! :)
I'd actually never played an Undead team before, so it was a bit of a learning curve, but it was fun! I really liked them and might actually pick up one. The other team I have my eye on is a Shadowforge Elf Team.

So, that was my ghost of games past! But what of the ghost of games future? Well, a wee game called Dystopian Legions has popped onto my radar and I simply couldn't resist...!


The first Kingdom of Britannia section is on the paint table already!

5 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...