About Me

My photo
I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!

Sunday 11 May 2014

Scale75 Paint Sets

'lo all! Been a while, hasn't it? Well, I've simply not been doing much in the tabletop side of the hobby for various reasons, both painting and playing. However, the past couple of weeks have seen things starting to pick up again and I was delighted to get to go to Carronade yesterday, the Falkirk wargames show. To highlight just how little I've been up to I actually didn't have anything in mind to buy when I went and only bought a couple of miniatures, one of them for my son! However, what I did get was a NMM paint set. I was browsing around the stalls when I came across an interesting one under the name of Northumbrian Tin Soldier who were selling Scalecolor and Andrea paint sets. I had a wee chat with the trader about them and decided to give theScalecolor a go. As far as NMM goes, I am quite happy with my gold recipe, but steel I struggle a bit with because I can't seem to get the bluish tint just right, so a ready made set is quite attractive. So...was I right in putting down some hard earned dosh for the set?

The Scalecolor 'Scale 75' NMM paint set box.
The back has nice examples and indicators of the colour. There is a cutout so you can see the bottles themselves. All in all, a very nicely produced set. Inside there is a short guide to using the paints, although it is pretty poorly translated from Spanish. That doesn't matter, though. The pictures speak for themselves.
The end result. I'm delighted with the result! The paints were a little different in texture to Vallejo, but they really work beautifully! I will be buying more! :)
I used the bluish paints for this sword. There is really two sets in the box - one for the 'azure' steel and one for a more regular grey steel. 
Conclusion? I love these paints. I will be buying more sets. I can see myself getting the flesh paint set as they are far more workable than the Lifecolor paints I reviewed a couple of years ago.

Check them out (and some cracking dark fantasy figures) here - http://www.northumbriantinsoldier.co.uk/

4 comments:

  1. That looks really good. I've heard of Andrea paints but not Scalecolour. Will have to investigate a little further myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that does look impessive. I'd not heard of Scale75 before, but might give this a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice saw you post this on facebook it looks like a useful l set

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...