About Me

My photo
I'm a bit of a born-again wargamer! I played many of the Games Workshop games when I was in my teens and early twenties, but left the hobby behind when I went to University. Over the last few years I have gradually got back into it and am literally having a ball! I'll play pretty much anything now, ranging from ancient historical to the far future! I think that I get more out of the painting side of things than actually playing, but that might just be because I get more opportunity. Hence the title...this blog is all about the colour of war!!

Friday 29 July 2011

Santiago Ortega

First of all, I hate varnishing figures! Once again I applied just a smidge too much matt varnish (I use Humbrol spray varnish) and I got a bit of frosting on this figure. It doesn't look too bad in real life, but the photo really picks it up. As for the figure...I think I'm pretty happy with the end result, but it was just one of those figures that you sometimes struggle with. Various parts were painted and then repainted until I got to a point I was happy. Some figures I just seem to paint almost without thinking and they come out exactly as I envisioned, but others just seem like real hard work for some reason! Anyway...onto the pictures!



5 comments:

  1. Looks brilliant, it has a certain.........frostiness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to stay frosty in a gunfight, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I found an answer to the frosting issue. I got some Humbrol brush on matt varnish and applied it to the worst areas. That sort of melted the underlying varnish and it all dried clear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I've heard the thing behind frosting is that sometime due to air humidity the coat comes out uneven. It reflects light unevenly hence the impression it's got white frosting over it. But once you go over it with brush on varnish, it evens the surface of the coat and makes the frosting 'dissappear' :)

    Cool blog btw, stumbled on here by accident and I'm liking it :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a pretty good explanation to me. I thought it 'dissolved' the varnish, but evening it out makes more sense! And thanks for the positive feedback, Andrzej! Much appreciated! Which reminds me...I have to get another post or two up soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...